A number of people have inquired about the Seed Saving Project and I thought it would be a good idea to provide everyone with what we feel is the basic goals of the Project. We hope that seed savers will venture beyond the Project scope but we are going to keep the Seed Saving Project focused on the basics to try to encourage more seed saving in Powell River.
The Project is focused on raising the quality as well as the quantity of local vegetable seed.
- Develop a list of vegetables for seed saving that are suitable to this region.
- Educate local growers on seed saving techniques.
- Encourage seed saving locally.
- Encourage new and experienced gardeners to save seeds.
- Increase the number of contributors to Seedy Saturday.
- Provide a stable supply of locally produced seeds.
- Raise the quality of locally produced seeds.
- Be open to suggestions about additions to or deletions from the basic list.
- Become self-supporting in providing seeds to new Project members.
- Provide a forum for seed savers to ask questions and offer advice.
Seed list considerations:
- Main groups are: squashes, beans, peas, beets/chard.
- Vegetables that are relatively simple to save seeds from.
- Have a variety of vegetables in each group.